Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Penny Pincher

Default Dinner Tonight, Need Chicken Enchillada Recipe

Does anyone have an easy chicken enchillada recipe I could use. Thanks!!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I just use a can of cream of chicken soup with some sour cream and add a small can of green chilis and some chicken, (you can add more of each depending on the amount of people you are feeding). I also like to put refried beans in the enchillada itself. I put this sauce mixture on top as well, and add cheese
Old 07-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I always add corn, beans, and spanish rice to my enchiladas... fills DH more without having to use as much chicken.

Proud to be an EOD Wife.
Mommy to one minecraft obsessor, a goofy little dance , and a crazy little baby
and missing 3 angels
Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default two of my favorite recipes

Chicken Enchiladas
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c milk
2 c cubed cooked chicken (can use canned if you want)
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 c green chilis
3 Tbs black olives, sliced
2 C cottage cheese or sour cream
1 C (or more ) cheddar
1/4 c green onions, chopped
1/8 tsp ground cumin
8-10 tortillas
Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Preheat oven 350. Mix chicken soup, milk, cottage cheese or sour cream, cumin and black pepper in med saucepan on med heat, stirring continually until curds are melted (if using cottage cheese) Remove from heat and add green onions and chili peppers. Spread 1/4 of sauce on bottom ov pan. Place 1/2 cup of sauce in center of each tortilla and roll lightly. Place each tortilla close together and spread remainder of sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese and place aluminum foil over pan. Bake 20 minutes covered, then additional 15 minutes uncovered. Remove and allow to stand 5 min. then sprinkle olives and any garnishes you wish.

This one makes a lot, but is so yummy
4 lbs chicken, cooked, cubed or shredded
10-12 flour tortillas
1lb or more shredded cheese
3 cans enchilada sauce
3 cans cream of chicken soup
1 small can diced green chilies
1 can ro*tel tomatoes
1 cup milk
Heat soup, chilies, ro*tel, and milk together. Spread spoon full of soup mix and spoon full of enchilada sauce down center or tortilla. Roll up chicken and a bit of cheese in tortillas and place in pan. Pour rest of enchilada sauce over tortillas, and soup over sauce. Top with cheese. Bake 350 for 30-35 minutes. Garnish as desired.
Good luck, chicken enchiladas sound great tonight. If only I had all the ingredients!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Default way easy, and similar

These are way easy, and close to enchiladas if you want to give them a try
Oven Baked Chimichangas
2/3 cup salsa
1 tsp cumin
2 green onions or a little regular diced onion
1 1/2 cup shredded chicken or beef
1 cup cheese
6 flour tortillas
1 TBS melted butter or margarine
1/2 tsp oregano
Mix first 6 ing. put 1/2 cup of mixture on tortillas. Fold sides in then roll grom bottom. Place seamside down on cookie sheet and brush with butter. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes
Old 07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

This is our new favorite chicken ench recipe. It is from mykitchencafe.blogspot.com

Honey Lime Enchiladas

I am particular when it comes to enchiladas. To start, I prefer the sauce creamy with a kick, instead of red and spicy, and I like a lot of flavor to the filling. These enchiladas did not disappoint! In fact, I would go so far as to say they are my new favorite enchilada and that is no easy feat. The shredded chicken soaks up a marinade of honey, lime and seasonings and the sweet tangy-ness is beyond delicious. Then they are topped with a creamy, green enchilada sauce that is thrown together in a matter of seconds and smothered in monterey jack cheese. They are simple, easy and so flavorful. The recipe comes from The Sisters' Cafe and Brittany (one of the sisters who posted this recipe) is my brother's wife's sister, if that kind of, sort of makes sense. Thanks, Brittany! You absolutely cannot go wrong with these enchiladas. And as a sidenote, I think I have every single recipe on The Sisters' Cafe bookmarked to try. Amazing food!

Trade Secrets:I followed Brittany's recipe closely, the only modifications being the addition of cream to the remaining enchilada sauce to add a bit of depth and creaminess. Since the chicken was cooked while marinating, I also poured the leftover marinade into the enchilada sauce and cream to blend all the flavors together. And finally, I added a bit more lime juice than the original recipe because that's what my lime produced! Next time (because there WILL be a next time), I might saute some onions and garlic and add that to the chicken mixture.

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
from Brittany at The Sisters' Cafe

6 tablespoons honey
5 tablespoons lime juice (1 large lime)
1 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded (I used 3 small chicken breasts)
8-10 flour tortillas
1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
16 ounces green enchilada sauce
1 cup heavy cream

Mix the first four ingredients and toss with shredded chicken. Let it marinate for at least 1/2 hour (I tossed mine together in a ziploc bag in the morning and let it sit in the refrigerator all day). Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. Fill flour tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade. Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmom24
I just use a can of cream of chicken soup with some sour cream and add a small can of green chilis and some chicken, (you can add more of each depending on the amount of people you are feeding). I also like to put refried beans in the enchillada itself. I put this sauce mixture on top as well, and add cheese
I do the same (without the refried beans) but I add a can or two (depending on the amount I'm making) of the green enchilada sauce into the mix, a friend told me to try it and now I won't make it without it! It is really subtle with the cream mixture but adds a great flavor. I just might have to make them this week...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Penny Pincher

This is an easssssy recipe.

Cook 3-4 chicken breasts/tenders, whatever you have, any way.
I usually boil mine
melt an 8 oz pkg of cream cheese in med sauce pan
add 1-2 cups of chunky salsa
dice or shred chicken when done, add to sauce pan
fill tortilla shells with cheese and mixture (rice if you want)
put into casserole dish
pour small can of enchilada sauce over
bake 325* for 20 min
sprinkle cheese over top and bake till melted

Is really easier than it looks.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Penny Pincher

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'll try each of them over the next few weeks. I'm not a great cook, so this will give me some experience.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
[b]
Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
[i]from Brittany at The Sisters' Cafe

I made these last night and they are AWESOME! Very good, but no leftovers! Next time I"ll double the recipe!