Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Pennies Per Serving....

Old 08-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Premier Cherry Pickin Mod

Default Catfish recipes ~ add your favorite

http://wildlife.utah.gov/wr/0706catfish/0706catfish.pdf

simple catfish recipe was provided by Tom Pettengill, former sport fisheries coordinator for the UDWR:
Ingredients:
• Fish fillets (4 to 6 ounces)
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon Cajun spice
• 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
• 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
• 1 tablespoon garlic salt
• 1 to 2 cups milk
• 1 to 2 eggs
Instructions: Cut fillets into two- to three-inch pieces. Mix eggs and milk in a small bowl. Mix flour and spices into a quart-sized zip lock bag and shake to mix. Dip fillet pieces in egg-milk mixture and drop into bag of spiced flour. You can do three to four pieces of fish at one time. Shake bag with flour, spices and fish to coat the pieces of fish. Place on a plate so the coating has a chance to set up before cooking (five to 10 minutes). Pour 1/4 to 1/2 inch of olive oil in a skillet. Cook on medium heat. Test oil with small pieces of breaded fillets to see if it boils. If it does, it’s ready to add fish to. Depending on thickness of fillets, cook the fish five to 10 minutes on each side until lightly brown, but don’t over cook.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Penny Pincher

My husband went "jugging" lst weekend and came home with 6 catfish. Last night we had catfish fillets.

catfish fillets
egg
panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
olive oil

Beat an egg with a little water (?1 tbsp)
Dip the fish fillet in the egg wash then into a plate of panko. Press down firmly on the fish. Turn and do the other side
Lay on a baking pan until all the fish are done. Put the baking pan in the fridge until you are ready to cook. Preheat oven to 400 - 425. Take pan out of fridge, drizzle with olive oil, and stick the pan in the oven. At about 15 minutes, look at the fish. if the top is slightly browned, then pull out the pan and flip the filets over. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the tops are slightly browned. Serve with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.

Now when I finished cleaning the fish, then I threw all the skeletons into a big baking pan with a little water and bouillion. Sealed tightly with foil. Bake 225 or so for an hour or so. Let cool. When it is cool then take the meat of the bones to use in fish cakes (or to feed to the cats---they love it).

fish cakes

Recipe of sorts

3 or 4 C poached fish or 2 cans (7 1/2 ounces each) salmon, drained
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup corn kernels, canned or frozen (thawed, if frozen)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 egg
1 1/2 cups crushed cracker crumbs (preferably saltines)
old bay seasoning or creole spices, if you prefer
I used water chestnuts and corn- I was out of onion and celery. I just kept adding crackers until the mix seemed to hold together. I made large hamburger patty sized cakes. Pressed them carefully into panko (Japanese bread crumbs) and layed them on the cookie sheet. I put them in the fridge to get cold and then later baked them with a drizzle of olive oil. 350 for ? 30 minutes. They were crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. I thought they were really flavorful. I planned to freeze a couple but they never made it in to the freezer. When they are re-heated in the microwave they are not as crispy but still darn good.