Just in case you missed this article on giving your washer a good cleaning the first time we shared it a couple of years ago, we are republishing it. After Marne wrote this blog originally, we got an awesome response. This is one of the PYP Best Blogs!
I am not one of those people that has the new, nice, front loading HE washing machines and dryers. I would love a set, but I still have a normal, ordinary, top loading washer and front loading dryer. I’ve had this set for over 10 years, and I bought it used then. Works great still. But it helps if I keep it in top-notch running order.
If you have ever noticed your washer smelling a bit musty or with a slight odor, or a film building up in it, then you need to clean it. This is a great way to clean your top loading washer. Really easy and costs pennies. There are several ways to do this, but this method is my favorite. Mt friend taught me how to do this and I am so grateful.
1. Fill your washer with HOT water and one quart of cholrine bleach.
2. Let it agitate for a couple of minutes, then let it sit for ONE HOUR.
3. After the hour is up, let the washer go through it’s longest wash, rinse and spin cycle.
4. Fill the washer with HOT water again, and this time put in 1 quart white vinegar.
5. Let it agitate again for a few minutes, then let it sit for ONE HOUR.
6. Let it go through the regular cycle again, like in the step above.
You now have a clean washer! The bleach and the vinegar clean away bacteria and sanitize your machine. It can also help with mineral deposits and soap scum. You will also want to take a wet rag (it works great to dip it into the vinegar water while the machine is soaking) and wipe down the outside of your machine and under the rims too.
How do you clean your washer?